Ensuring the safety of participants abroad
Below are the new Xperitas Family Stay Experience™ and Covid-19 protocols for 2022 travel which were developed to ensure the safety of all participants. Protocols will continually be reviewed and adapted as needs arise. Xperitas has also secured additional insurance coverage for trip interruption or cancellation! See details of additional coverage.
Covid-19 Protocol | Xperitas
- All participants must follow the masking, social distancing, testing, and quarantine guidelines established by the host country at all times during travel. Intentional disregard could result in disciplinary action up to (and including) dismissal from the program.
- If at any point a leader or student experiences any symptoms of Covid-19, the entire group will use a mask at all times. Any symptomatic individual will arrange to be tested for Covid-19. If the results are negative, the group can stop using masks and continue as normal with the tour portion of their program. If the results are positive, the individual must isolate and follow any host country or community laws and requirements regarding quarantining. The individual may not be able to participate in the remainder of the program. If the individual is a student, an adult will be present while the student is in quarantine.
- If an individual tests positive for Covid-19 and is unable to travel on the day of departure back to the United States, the individual will follow any host country laws and requirements regarding quarantining. If the individual is a student and in quarantine, an adult will be present. The remainder of the group will travel back to the United States.
- For specific protocols in place during the family stay, refer to the Xperitas Family Stay Experience Protocols.
Covid-19 Protocol | The Family Stay Experience™
- All eligible members* of the host family will be fully vaccinated. Proof of vaccination will be shown to the Family Stay Coordinator (FSC) at least two weeks prior to the group’s arrival in country. The FSC will document proof of vaccination on the Xperitas-provided form.
- If a member(s) of a host family is experiencing Covid-19 symptoms a week or less before the host student’s arrival, the host family will communicate with the FSC and inform them of the situation, and the FSC will alert Xperitas. The person(s) experiencing symptoms will arrange to be tested for Covid-19. The host family can only host if the test results are negative. If the individual(s) has not been tested and received results, or the test results are positive, the student will be placed with an alternative host family.
- If a student or host family member(s) is experiencing symptoms of Covid-19 during the family stay: An adult in the host family will contact the FSC and inform them of the situation, and the FSC will alert the group leader and Xperitas. Every individual in the household will use masks and isolate as best as possible. Any symptomatic individual will arrange to be tested for Covid-19. If the results are negative, all individuals in the household can stop using masks and continue as normal with the family stay experience. If the results are positive, the student will be removed from the host family and brought to the hotel where the group leader(s)** is staying. Xperitas will follow any host country or community laws and requirements regarding testing and quarantining.
- If a teacher has privately arranged their group's family stay, that teacher will determine their group's family stay protocols.
*Eligibility is determined by vaccine type available in host country and as recommended by each destination’s Ministry of Health.
** If the group leader(s) is staying with a host family, they will need to relocate to the hotel where the student will be staying.