Traveling abroad is a financial investment at any age, and we know that the cost of travel can be prohibitive for some participants. As a nonprofit organization, part of Xperitas' mission is to increase access for participants from all backgrounds to experience transformative language and cultural immersion programs.
In addition to providing financial aid for Language Immersion Programs and financial aid for Community Partnership Programs, we encourage participants and groups to raise funds in their communities to support their program. We know from more than 40 years of experience that raising money for an educational travel experience can help make programs achievable for more participants and spread awareness and excitement about the program.
Fundraising can involve both group and individual efforts. We've provided a few ideas below, but the best fundraising efforts are creative and often uniquely suited to the individual or group. Feel free to adapt these ideas or try something completely different — and let us know what works for you!
My Travel Fund
Over the years, we have discovered that friends and family want to support our students’ language and cultural immersion programs. That’s why we created My Travel Fund. With this online tool, generous family and friends can quickly and easily submit payments toward a participant’s Xperitas program.
Teachers and parents of participants often have success soliciting financial support from local businesses and organizations for the benefit of the entire group.
Likewise, individual students have also been successful at soliciting funds from local businesses and organizations, often with the commitment to come back and share their experiences with the people and organizations that support them.
School and affinity groups often find success hosting group fundraising events. A few ideas are below, but feel free to try your own unique ideas.
- Bake sale or rummage sale
- Recyclable can/bottle collection
- Bingo night
- Talent show
- Coffee bar
- Raffle or silent auction (ask for donations from community businesses)
- Car wash
- Photo booth
- Spaghetti dinner, pancake breakfast, or destination-themed meal
Other Fundraising Ideas
There's no limit to the ways you can raise money for your program. Here are a few more ideas you could consider:
- Ask local businesses if your group could volunteer to work for an afternoon/evening for a donation. Examples include bagging groceries, bussing tables at a restaurant, raking leaves or shoveling snow.
- Explore branded fundraising programs. A quick Internet search will reveal countless corporate fundraising programs, such as selling wrapping paper, magazines, coffee, chocolate or gift cards.
- Consider selling concessions at local sporting events. Many teams and stadiums have opportunities for volunteer groups to raise money by running concession sales during a game or event.
Do you have more fundraising ideas? Share them with us!