Join Our Team
Career, Internship, and Volunteer Opportunities at Xperitas
Xperitas Board Member Search
The Xperitas Board has membership openings and is seeking qualified applicants who reflect the organization’s values of deep respect for cultures, diversity, and learning.
Our Mission: Transforming lives through shared global experience and intercultural learning.
Our Vision: All people connected in one global community
Xperitas is a nonprofit educational organization dedicated to promoting global citizenship through authentic immersion experiences. Xperitas offers programs that embody true language and cultural immersion, inspire personal connections with diverse individuals and communities worldwide and provide transformational experiences for our participants. Xperitas programs embody three key values:
- Immersion - Our programs provide authentic, intentional immersion into the culture and language of the communities with which we partner.
- Connection - Participants make meaningful personal connections with the communities and individuals they meet.
- Transformation - Xperitas programs change how participants see the world and guide them on their journey to global citizenship.
Board Service & Commitment
Xperitas’ Board is an engaged, active governing Board. Members of the Xperitas Board are expected to engage in the following:
- Attend board meetings every other month
- Sit on at least one committee that typically meets on alternate months when the Board is not convening
- Complete other work and projects, review documents, and approve measures between meetings as necessary
- Participate in at least one Xperitas program-related event or activity per year
- Serve in a board officer or committee chair position if nominated
Service on the Xperitas Board of Directors is without remuneration, except travel and accommodation costs in relation to Board members’ duties. The Board’s bylaws call for a three year term that maybe renewed, by mutual agreement of the Board and the Board member, one or two times up to a maximum of 9 years.
Skills & Qualifications
The Board seeks the following skills and capabilities in Board candidates:
- Enthusiastic endorsement of the Xperitas mission
- Commitment to the mission of peace, justice and the societal value of intercultural and international experiences
- Intercultural interest/competence
- Desire to develop and contribute governance and leadership skills through service in board officer and committee chair positions
Preferred experience in one/more of these areas:
- Nonprofit law and governance
- Travel Logistics
- Higher education
- K–12 education (teaching, policy, administration), especially foreign language education
- Child welfare, health and safety in an educational setting
- Organizational leadership and design
- Nonprofit board leadership or finance oversight, compliance and investment management
Board Member Duties & Responsibilities
- Approval of annual budget
- Review of financial statements at least quarterly
- Approval of hire of audit firm
- Meet with audit firm to review results
- Approve internal policies and procedures
- Hire, review and, if needed, remove the Executive Director
- Set annual goals for E.D. and measure performance based on goals
- Approve final documents of key personnel policies and major changes in benefits for employees
- Implement strategic planning process
- Participate in all key aspects of strategic planning including data review and semiannually review progress and make recommendations
- Approve recommendations for key systems changes
- In the event of legal action, develop an action plan
- Recommend and approve changes to policies and bylaws
- Annual review of Board members’ skill, abilities, and experience
- Evaluation of Board performance and recruiting additional Board members
Promote & advocate for the organization
- Connect Xperitas with individuals and organizations that can help advance its mission
- Advocate for Xperitas’ interests among personal and professional networks
- Xperitas Board members will consider Xperitas a philanthropic priority and are expected to give at a level that is personally meaningful on an annual basis
How to Apply
To apply, please send the following:
- Your resume/CV
- Responses to the following questions:
- What skills & experiences will you bring to the Board
- Why are you passionate about the mission of Xperitas?
No cover letter or letter of inquiry required. Please send your application materials to BoardRecruitment@xperitas.org by Friday, June 10, 2022.
Xperitas values a diverse workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBT individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws. BIPOC candidates are especially encouraged to apply.
Xperitas is occasionally looking for interns with a variety of skills to help further our mission.