Core Travel Medical and Trip Cancellation Insurance
Medical Conditions & Special Needs
Traveling abroad can be a stressful experience that may exacerbate a medical condition. It is important that Xperitas and group leaders are aware of any medical conditions or special needs a participant may have. For this reason we ask participants to indicate on the program application any medical condition of which Xperitas, the program teacher/leader and the host family should be aware.
- All allergies, dietary needs, medications, etc., must be managed by the participant and must not require any special attention. Family stay placements are not based on consideration of medical or dietary conditions.
- Xperitas reserves the right to cancel a participant who does not disclose a medical diagnosis on his/her application or whose medical condition or special needs can not be accommodated appropriately on the program; regular cancellation fees apply.
- The cancellation insurance included in the program price is for medically related causes only affecting the participant or a member of the participant's immediate family.
- The maximum coverage amount ($1000) is applied against the incurred loss calculated as of the date Xperitas receives the written cancellation. A physician's statement and signature will be required for any medical claim.
Additional Insurance Coverage
- Xperitas is pleased to provide participants an opportunity to purchase additional insurance coverage through Core Travel Insurance.
- Some participants on Xperitas programs request additional insurance to augment the insurance automatically provided on all Xperitas programs. You are not required to purchase additional insurance, but we want to make it easy if you do.
- Core Travel offers three upgrade plans above the standard insurance policy included in the Xperitas program cost. Click here to review the plans available and learn more about options.
- Core Travel is a third party vendor and is completely independent from Xperitas. All payments and questions about coverage and claims should be directed to Core Travel at firstname.lastname@example.org or 518-708-4192.
What is covered?
- All Xperitas program participants are covered by Xperitas’ traveler insurance, Core™Travel insurance, which includes evacuation for groups who “are at risk of grave physical harm or death” due to a natural disaster or political instability while traveling abroad.
- In the event that a participant falls ill or has an accident while traveling, the group leader(s) will ensure the traveler receives medical attention immediately. Limited insurance for minor illness or accidents and trip cancellation insurance is provided for all Xperitas program participants. Coverage details, policies and instructions can be found on this FAQ document. The insurance policy pays 100% of covered expenses for emergency medical evacuation, and is coordinated by Zurich Travel Assist, a travel assistance company that operates around the world in conjunction with our insurer. The Zurich Travel Assist emergency hotline is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Note: Pre-existing conditions, mental illness and pregnancy are not covered. Xperitas recommends that each traveler's own comprehensive medical insurance be current and include coverage for the destination country.
Core Travel Medical and Trip Cancellation Insurance is included in the price of all Xperitas travel programs. Find coverage details here.
How to print out an insurance card
Xperitas participants should print out their insurance card prior to departure and carry it with them while traveling. The insurance card for our Core™Travel insurance coverage with Xperitas can be accessed and printed from the Core Travel Insurance website. Once you are logged in, click on the button that says “Go to your Profile”. There you will find an button that says “Print Insurance Card”.
NEW! Trip Cancellation & Delay Insurance Program
Participant health and safety is always a priority at Xperitas. We want to make sure all our participants are covered in case of unforseen complications when planning or traveling. Through the International Volunteer Programs Association (IVPA) we have secured this trip cancellation insurance program for our participants.
Trip Cancellation Insurance Program Coverage Highlights
- This program provides additional coverages that are not included in the Core Travel Medical and Trip Cancellation Insurance that Xperitas provides to all our travelers.
- Trip cancellation coverage up to $2,000 should you need to cancel your participation prior to the program start date if you are impacted by illness (including COVID-19), required to quarantine related to COVID-19 or experience accidental injury and other covered events.
- Trip delay and trip interruption coverage up to $2,000 should you be impacted by illness (including COVID-19), required to quarantine related to COVID-19 or experience accidental injury or other covered events that occur during your program.
The Trip Cancellation Insurance Program is separate from the included Core Travel Medical and Trip Cancellation Insurance policy and is required for all 2022 language immersion program participants. Participants will be charged an additional $5.50 per day as part of their shared cost for this coverage. This amount will be added to participants’ account at the time of final billing. The amount is determined based on the program length (number of days).
Xperitas will cover the cost up to $2,000 (food, lodging, and transportation up to $150/day) if a leader needs to remain in country because a student(s) is in quarantine.