Xperitas Board Member Search
The Xperitas Board has Board member openings and is seeking qualified applicants who reflect the organization’s values of deep respect for cultures, diversity, and learning.
Our Mission: Transforming lives through shared global experience and intercultural learning.
Our Vision: All people connected in one global community.
Xperitas programs embody three key values:
- Immersion - Our programs provide authentic, intentional immersion into the culture and language of the communities with which we partner.
- Connection - Participants make meaningful personal connections with the communities and individuals they meet.
- Transformation - Xperitas programs change how participants see the world and guide them on their journey to global citizenship
Skills & Qualifications
The Board seeks the following skills and capabilities in Board candidates:
- Enthusiastic endorsement of the Xperitas mission
- Commitment to the mission of peace, justice and the societal value of intercultural and international experiences
- Intercultural interest/competence
- Experience in law (nonprofit, contract negotiation and other)
- Experience in K – 12 education (teaching, policy, administration), especially foreign language education
- Candidates of color are especially encouraged to apply.
Board of Directors Duties and Responsibilities
- Approval of annual budget
- Review of financial statements at least quarterly
- Approval of hire of audit firm
- Meet with audit firm to review results
- Approve internal policies and procedures
- Recommend new ideas and changes to current programs
- Evaluate success/failure of programs annually
- Approve program expansion funds
- Hire, review and, if needed, remove the Executive Director
- Set annual goals for E.D. and measure performance based on goals
- Approve final documents of key personnel policies
- Approve major changes in benefits for employees
- Implement strategic planning process
- Participate in all key aspects of strategic planning including data review
- Semiannually review progress and make recommendations
- Approve recommendations for key systems changes
- In the event of legal action, develop action plan
- Work together to map a plan for crisis management
- Recommend and approve changes to policies
- Recommend and approve changes to bylaws
- Annual review of Board members’ skill, abilities, and experience
- Evaluation of Board performance
- Recruiting additional Board members
Promote and advocate for the organization
- Connect Xperitas with individuals and organizations that can help advance its mission.
- Advocate for Xperitas’ interests among your personal and professional networks.
Xperitas Board members will consider Xperitas a philanthropic priority and are expected to give at a level that is personally meaningful on an annual basis.
Board Service and Commitment
Xperitas’ Board is an engaged, active governing Board. Board members are expected to attend Board meetings every other month. Board members will sit on one committee, these committees meet on alternate months when the Board is not convening. Board members will be expected to complete other work and projects, review documents, and approve measures between meetings as necessary. Board members are expected to participate in at least one Xperitas program-related event or activity per year.
Service on the Xperitas Board of Directors is without remuneration, except support, travel, and accommodation costs in relation to Board members’ duties.
The Board’s bylaws call for a three year term that could be renewed, by mutual agreement of the Board and the Board member, one or two times.
How to Apply
For your application, please send:
- Your resume/CV
- Responses to the following:
- What skills & experiences will you bring to the Board?
- Why are you passionate about the mission of Xperitas?
No cover letter or letter of inquiry required. Please send your application materials to BoardRecruitment@xperitas.org by June 21, 2019.